Western Nebraska Community College

The Spectator

WNCC students and community members perform last play at the WNCC ‘Little Theatre’

By Natalie Saenz, Reporter

The WNCC Theatre Department presented its last play “The Foreigner” at the WNCC Little Theatre before the upcoming renovations.

Living up to its name, the Little Theatre will challenge and entertain the audience with some political satire from “The Foreigner.” With the setting in rural Georgia, Robert Thompson Jr., WNCC Theatre Instructor said, “This is a relevant piece considering America’s issues with immigrants coming in from different countries.”

The production begins with two Englishmen Charlie Baker (the foreigner) and Froggy LeSueur who decide to stay at a hunting lodge. While at the hunting lodge, Charlie tells Froggy he does not wish to speak to anyone because he is shy. From there, Froggy tells everyone that Charlie does not speak English. During his non-English experimentation, Charlie overhears and oversees the disdain for individuals who are foreign or do not speak English.

Despite having a political and social message, “the audience can expect a lot of comedy…the comedy is the forefront” Rebekah Carlson played by sophomore Catherine Simms said. In a comedic sense, Thompson said, “We make fun of the bigotry and the xenophobia that is a part of the American culture, we celebrate our own stupidity.”

Even though it is Thompson’s first time directing “The Foreigner,” he said that he had seen it produced a couple of times. “My mom was in this play when I was a kid” Thompson said, “I saw the Hope Summer Repertory Theatre do it back in 2011.” Nonetheless, Thompson has directed this play in an original process as a way to create something new.

When asked about his experience in productions at Little Theatre, WNCC Assistant Theatre Director Bryon Allen who plays Charlie Baker, said “I have done many shows here such as “The Christmas Carol”…. I have been Scrooge for eight productions of it.” Although this is Allen’s first time performing in “The Foreigner,” Allen said, “Ten years ago, for Theatre West, we did “The Nerd” another play from Larry Shue, the same director of “The Foreigner.”

For opening night of “The Foreigner,” the performers are excited to perform and grant the audience a night of comedy. Sophomore theatre major James Maag who plays Ellard said, “It has been a ride with ups and downs, but seeing the show come together is actually a fantastic feeling for that opening night.” “I am really excited, I am looking forward to it” Carlson said.

The Little Theatre is not the only one renovating, the actors have shared their personal experiences and changes throughout the process of the production. “It has helped me be more expressive with the way I talk and act around people,” Carlson said, “This has meant trying a dream I never thought possible.”

“It’s the first comedy that I have done and being a theatre major it has helped me open up” Maag said, “It has helped embody a character and grow with them.”

Opening night for “The Foreigner” is 7:30 p.m. March 3 at the WNCC Little Theatre. Additional performances are scheduled for March 4  at 7:30 p.m. and a 2 p.m. matinee on March 5.

Tickets are $5 for the general public and free for students and faculty. Tickets are available at the theatre box office one hour prior to curtain.

1 Comment

One Response to “WNCC students and community members perform last play at the WNCC ‘Little Theatre’”

1. Jay Grote on March 9th, 2017 6:37 pm

Very good story and exercise of what you’ve been learning in our meetings!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• WNCC students and community members perform last play at the WNCC ‘Little Theatre’

Features

Monument Prevention Shares Alcohol Awareness

News

A Celebration of Diversi-Tea at WNCC

Features

Aspiring model from Benin, Africa studies Business Administration at WNCC

News

A Puzzle piece known as life

News

WNCC Vocal Showcase Coming to Midwest

News

A testing center for the people

News

A day full of events

News

WNCC adds Acapella choir to music program

News

Weekend Paintball Trip

News

College Exhibit Opens

Western Nebraska Community College