Western Nebraska Community College

The Spectator

A Celebration of Diversi-Tea at WNCC

To celebrate the variance of the many cultures of WNCC, the Diversity Committee held the ultimate college tea party on Friday. The Student Life and Engagement Center was the sight of caffeinated party of Diversi-Tea.

Both staff and students followed the smell of tea and pudding to find themselves among friends and culturally diverse music. Thanks to the Diversity Committee, students were able to sample an ample supply of Kenyan Ajiri Tea in its many flavors and a delicious South African dessert called Malva Pudding.

The idea for this gathering was headed by Nina Grant, the Vice President of Student Services. Hats-off to the well thought out and needed pun. Grant used the ideas of both staff and students by asking dining services to come up with a dessert, in turn, getting the idea of a pudding dish from a student working in the Bishop Dining Hall.

One of the students in attendance was a sophomore named Sam Roe. “I just decided I’d walk in!” She said when asked why she attended the gathering. She was also drawn by the variety of the teas offered. “I think it was called Kenya black tea. I know for sure it was called black tea because I had never heard of black tea before.”

In addition to learning about the different kinds of tea offered, she was amazed by the culturally diverse campus. “I was surprised because I saw a lot of people there that I have never seen before and didn’t recognize.” In attendance were people from the Student Life and Engagement Center, Financial Aid Office, Student Services, Performing Arts department, Human Resources, and even President Holcomb.

The title of the event, “Diversi-Tea!” was also a major hit with the students. “I laughed. I like puns a lot so it was great to me.” Roe said. A simple play on words was able to draw students and staff in to learn about the diversity at WNCC and the diversity of many other cultures.

In addition to tea and pudding, Attendees could pick up buttons and bookmarks celebrating Black History Month. The bookmarks had inspirational quotes from many African American leaders that have been at the forefront of the still ongoing civil rights movement.