Western Nebraska Community College

The Spectator

Filed under News, Showcase

A Puzzle piece known as life

On campus there is almost always something that is going on, if you look around it can be hard to miss sometimes. For the most recent campus activity a variety of students in Conestoga Hall came together and designed a puzzle piece that represented something about themselves. The fully decorated and complete puzzle hangs near the entrance for everyone to see and admire.

Out of the many students in Conestoga Hall, three were willing to sit down to share their thoughts on what their piece of the puzzle represented, Gracie Aguirre, Daniel Mitchell, and Sam Roe.

The first was Aguirre who said “My piece represents Colorado, which is where I am from. It also has a music stain it, because I am a choir kid and I love to sing. Then you have some stars in there because I have always liked the stars.” Aguirre said. She was also willing to share the story behind the symbol that can be found in her piece as well. “The symbol is from a band called ‘Real Friends’ and it stands for ‘Bony Knees and Sleepy Eyes’, they’re my favorite band and those lyrics can be found in a lot of their songs.”

It is easy to see that a lot went into some of the pieces that are on display in Conestoga Hall, Aguirre’s piece is certainly no exception. The story behind each individual piece on the mural is fascinating, one can easily see how much effort a lot of the students put into making something that represents them. That is something that is admirable to say the least.

There was an astonishing lack of students available for interview this time, but the ones that were available had incredibly interesting stories to share about their contribution to the hanging mural. The next interview came from an international student who was originally born in Australia, Daniel Mitchell.

‘The puzzle piece I did has the Australian flag on it which represents where I come from and where I call home, it also has a soccer ball on it, which represents what I am here for and what I grew up with.” Mitchell said. “There isn’t much else on there but it is a great deal to me.” Mitchell’s story was a bit shorter but it still was important because it shows that no matter how far home is from here, we’re all here for a reason and that is to better ourselves in some form or to follow our passions and dreams.

The last piece of the puzzle came from Sam Roe, her story was yet another unique one and she even originates from the same state as Aguirre. Which just goes to show that everyone has a interesting story that defines them and that it doesn’t matter if they come from the same place as everyone else, the story told is always going to be unique to them.

“I drew a Colorado flag, I am a Colorado native, I was born there, raised there and plan on living in Colorado for the rest of my life, it is kinda simple but it represents me and my home.” Roe said.

Home, that was the reoccurring theme found in this mural, it’s not surprising as the holiday’s draw nearer and nearer, despite them being over a month away, home is what seems to be on everyone’s mind right now.

The puzzle represents so much more than just a handful of individuals, it represents something that can be found in humanity as whole. Everybody on earth is a piece in this puzzle that we call life, each with their extraordinary stories. Everyone has a certain place they call home, a place where they fit and a place where they belong. Hopefully for some WNCC can be seen as a home away from home.