Western Nebraska Community College

The Spectator

WNCC Vocal Showcase Coming to Midwest

By Natalie Saenz, Reporter

The WNCC Vocal Department once again promotes its annual “Vocal Showcase” to the community with the theme of “Hope and Love.” Under the direction of Dr. Imgyu Kang, WNCC director of vocal activities, five vocal ensembles and selected soloists will perform songs from a variety of genres.

The 2016 Vocal Showcase will be this upcoming Saturday October 29th at the Midwest Theatre. After following the tradition of performing the annual showcase at the Gering Civic Center, Kang decided to change the venue to the Midwest Theatre. “I would like to share our vocal program to community members through an inexpensive manner at a concert venue,” Kang said. “I would like to share not only to the community but also to high school and junior high school students to recruit into WNCC’s Vocal Department for upcoming years.”

In past years, the “Vocal Showcase” was a performance with only Varsity Vocalise, WNCC show choir. However, Kang decided to incorporate more members; including Varsity Vocalise, Collegiate Chorale, Just Bluffin’, Quintessence, and Zeitgeist. Zeitgeist is the new mixed a capella ensemble performing songs without accompaniment such as “The Prayer” and “Take me Home.”

Each of the five vocal ensembles will perform two or three song numbers; however, Collegiate Chorale will combine the “Hope and Love” with all forty members in “One Night Only,” “The Blessing,” “Lava,” “Never My Love,” “Ya’ll Come,” “Praise His Holy Name,” and “One Song.”

Several members of Collegiate Chorale-new and returning members-shared their thoughts about their favorite songs and expectations for showcase.

When asked about her favorite song from the showcase program, Fiona Zannou a returning member, expressed the effect of a particular song, “The Blessing is my favorite song because I think we are blessed by God with music. It does not matter if you’re singing, playing an instrument, or just listening to music. It has the same effect in every ways. Singing that song to the audience is like blessing them too. The lyrics are deep in meaning as well.”

Freshman Cynthia Clark, also expressed her preference of “The Blessing.” “My favorite song is The Blessing because the harmonies throughout the song are almost haunting and the message is pure. And I love A Capella song,” she said.

Freshman Jacob Leach, member of Collegiate Chorale, Varsity Vocalise, and Zeitgeist, commented on his favorite showcase song, “One Song because it is about singing with one voice and I feel like that is how all of us should be in all that we do. The message of the song is one that touches my heart and I want others to feel the same.”

When asked about their expectations of the upcoming vocal showcase performance, three students responded with insight to their excitement.

Sophomore Rebekah Carlson, commented about her expectations, “I am really looking forward to seeing what we can do with Showcase. It will be a fun and enjoyable time. And I hope that the community loves it just as much as I’m sure we will love performing for them.”

Sophomore Shayley Coburn offered her expectations of the showcase. “I am very excited for this event. I expect that, like every other show, we will pull it together and be amazing.” she commented.

First year vocal students also shared their expectations and thoughts about the upcoming showcase; Taylor Blomenkamp and Peyton Lenz. “I am very excited for this event! This is my first major performance with these choirs, so I am excited to see how this performance goes!” Blomekamp commented. “I am so excited because this is my first time being involved in a successful choir and I feel so lucky to be here.” Lenz said.

The WNCC Vocal Department’s annual “Vocal Showcase” performance about “Hope and Love” will be Saturday October 29th. Tickets are for sale starting at $10-$15 for adults and $5 for WNCC students. Tickets can be bought at the WNCC foundation website at wncc.edu/performingarts or by calling 308-630-6550. Tickets will also be available at the door this Saturday before the performance. The “Vocal Showcase” will commence with a cocktail hour starting at 6:45 p.m. followed with the showcase starting at 7 p.m.

As first year students Kimberley Brening and Mireya Barraza commented, “This is going to be a great show! Don’t miss it!” “Let’s make it a night of Love and Hope!”