Western Nebraska Community College

The Spectator

A testing center for the people

By Aaron Christianson, Editor

Lots of things have changed over the past few years here at WNCC and it is very evident that things will continue to change, mostly for the better. This year the largest change to campus, so far, would have to be the new academic testing center. With a variety of people working on renovating what used to be an old classroom turned storage classroom, into something new to our campus, it is definitely one of the bigger things happening on campus right now.

To start off with, Bill Knapper, vice president of business, provided a bit of insight as to how this came into play.

“We identified a room that we could use, and after talking a bit with the board, we were approved to use the old computer sale storage room as a new academic testing center,” he said. “We may also use it as a career center, it’ll be a quiet space with about a dozen computers and will be monitored with a camera security, as is required.”

Knapper expressed his excitement for the new walk-in testing center, “In the past we’ve had to escort students all around, due to having no where on campus that was officially designated for a testing area” he said. Things certainly seem to be working out for the better and the excitement is evident.

Luke Stobel is one of the head people on the project and had quite a lot to offer on the room and its building. Stobel shared Knapper’s disdain for the previous lack of a consistent testing area.

“Before we only had testing availability on Tuesdays and Thursdays, we would get swamped with people wanting to test, but now, we can test any day of the week.” he said. “We will now have 12-16 computers, used for testing students in reading, writing and math.”

Dr. Kim Kuster Dale, vice president of educational services, provided a decent amount of information on the subject that went right along with what both Knapper and Stobel had to say. One of the things that Kuster Dale made sure to point out is that, this is not a permanent solution.

“We will only use this as a short term solution. We plan to revamp the entire front area of the college, so it’ll just be one stop where students will be able to get support as needed and meet with their advisers. It may only be temporary for right now, but it is a good solution. We’re also looking at possibly providing some limited career advising in the new academic testing center, but we’re still fleshing out those plans.” she said, “We’ll continue having testing upstairs in the LRC as well as corporate testing across the street in the Harms Center.”

Kuster Dale went on to provide more information on the remodeling of the college that is going to take place.

“The remodel is supposed to be completed by 2019, and is in conjunction with a remodel of the LRC, to change it into a learning commons and a revamping and updating of the theater department as well,” she said.

All in all change is bound to happen and this change will provide a great service to the college, allowing productivity to be increased and making things slightly easier on everyone. The images featured are of the build in progress, although it doesn’t look like much now, it is a reminder that all great things start off small.

5987482340699882265-account_id7