Western Nebraska Community College

The Spectator

Lofink Saves the Game

Beau Lofink is awarded male athlete of the week ending April. 10.

Beau Lofink, pitcher of the men’s basketball team, has been awarded male athlete of the week for the week ending April. 10.

Lofink is a 20-year-old sophomore from Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Last week in a game against NJC, Lofink recorded both saves in the doubleheader win. WNCC won the first game 5-4 and then the second one 2-0. He also picked up his ninth save of the year on April 13 against Trinidad State. Beau only pitched two games as a freshman, but is a key figure on the pitching mound this season.

College can be challenging for a variety of reasons. Adapting to new environments is often a tough component for students, but as Lofink is from Scottsbluff he is used to living in this area. He explains how WNCC has been for him.

“I have enjoyed being at WNCC because this is the place that has allowed me to keep playing baseball,” Beau said.

Some freshman college students are unsure as to which path to take for their future career, so tend to get their general studies in for the first 2 years. Although, Beau is taking his generals now, he has plans for his next step.

“I am currently getting my generals out of the way but I am going into agriculture business,” he said

Athletes have often played their chosen sport for a very long time. They enjoy the sport and grow to love it as time continues. Lofink fell in love with baseball at a very young age.

“Watching baseball on T.V got me started in baseball. I was probably 5 or 6 years old,” Lofink said.

A team’s success is based on talent and good team chemistry. Lofink has confidence in the Cougars and feels that they have the potential to be successful this year.

“We have a very good team this year and I think that we can make a run for it in the playoffs. But we just have to keep stringing together some wins,” he said.

There is always a drill or something of that nature that athletes look forward to most at practice. Beau likes what they get to do when the pitchers throw a shut-out game.

“My favorite thing to do at practice would be if the pitchers throw a shut-out game, we will get a pitchers batting practice,” Lofink said.

Prior to competition, athletes can often be found completing pre-game rituals. This is something that helps the player prepare for games mentally and physically.

“I make sure that I wear all the same things that I wear when we are winning and I listen to the same music,” Beau said.

High school offers 3 seasons of sports, which means that students have the option to take part in more than just their one chosen sport if they so wish. Lofink decided to take up on this opportunity as he was a part of the football and basketball teams at his high school. This kept him fit and in shape when it came to baseball season.

For any athlete to be successful, they must put an extreme amount of effort into their sports. Therefore, they put their bodies under a lot of stress. It is because of this, that more often than not athletes are no strangers to injuries. Unfortunately Lofink has suffered a few injuries that set him back a little. However, he has come back stronger than ever since.

“Injuries that I have had to overcome in my career would be when I tore my meniscus twice and also a broken foot,” Beau said.

Being a part of college-athletics can sometimes be the most rewarding yet challenging parts of one’s life. Athletes are expected to maintain high levels of performance in the classroom and on the field, almost making it like 2 full-time jobs. Lofink explains what he has found to be the most challenging aspect of it.

“Making sure all of my work for class is getting done, while we leave for mid-week games is the most difficult part about being a student-athlete,” Lofink said.

Now Beau almost has two years of the college-athlete experience under his belt, he has some advice to offer to other considering becoming one.

“Make sure that work for school gets done early and also just to put as much time into the sport they are playing as they can,” he said.

When Lofink manages to find time for himself, he explains what he likes to do.

“I like hanging out with friends and playing sports,” Beau said.

Motivation can sometimes be hard to find. However, it can be found when having role models and also through quotes or sayings. Lofink has several people that he looks up to and finds motivation from.

“My role model out of sports would be my father and my role model in sports would be Kawhi Leonard,” Beau said.

Athletes require great amounts of energy to fulfill their daily duties, this therefore require a good amount of nutrition. Lofink talks about his ideal meal.

“The perfect meal for me just in general would probably be a steak,” he said.

We have a very good team this year and I think that we can make a run for it in the playoffs!