The Spectator

Filed under A&E, News, Showcase

EGC Leveling Up a Gear

The Electronic Gaming Club (EGC) is an organization that was set up a few years ago and has had a strong following from the very beginning. Every Friday night students come together, in the conference room in Pioneer, to play a variety of electronic games. The organization has many games consoles including WiiU, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and the building also has free Wi-Fi, so everyone is also welcome to bring along their own laptops.

The officers to date are Sebastian Walton as President, Donny Valentine as Vice-President, Chase Cushman as Secretary, and Tristan Stephenson as Treasurer.

This is Sebastian’s third year as President for the club.

He and the club recognize that college can be a stressful environment for students, so it can be nice to take some time out of that atmosphere.

“Our main goal is to provide a safe and comfortable environment for students to come and relax after a long week of school,” Sebastian said.

Walton also explains that EGC offers a place for people that wouldn’t ordinarily mix, to make friends over common interests.

“Being able to see people from different groups hang out and get to know each other and become friends has been the most enjoyable part of being president for EGC,” He said.

EGC have been host to many events in which students have been given the opportunity to win prizes. Sebastian believes that the FIFA tournaments they hold are often the most popular.

“We had A FIFA tournament and had well over 20 people show up,” he said.

The officers of EGC are a sophomore group, with other commitments also, so are in the process of organizing events. However, they are going to be working with Campus Activities Board (CAB) for Casino Night on Thursday, October 22. They will be providing the grand prize for the raffle. The prize will be revealed on the night, but it is confirmed that EGC will be spending $300-$400 on the grand prize.

EGC is not just about playing on the games consoles, they are also going to be building a top of the line gaming computer this semester. A few members of the organization have had previous experience of building computers and they wanted to offer that experience to the rest of the group.

Every organization has to complete a community service project for the year, EGC has been thinking about theirs for the year. There are a few options that they are currently considering.

“We are in the process of picking something to do,” Sebastian explains.

Some organizations also choose to do some fundraisers in order to help funds, but not all decide to.

“For the first time we are going to do one but have not decided what to do yet,” Sebastian said.

EGC are actually looking at altering their organization slightly over the next semester.

“We are in the process of making changes to EGC in colluding the name. We plan on changing it to LevelUp!” Walton said.

EGC will be spending $300-$400 on the grand prize”